About Hotel De Blauwe Pauw

History of the hotel building

The name ‘De Blauwe Pauw’ (Blue Peacock) originates from the forged fence above the hotel entrance, a typical decoration from the Belle Époque (1890- 1914) era, with Jugendstil/Art Noveau features. The Aesculapius is a reminder of the building’s former function as a doctor’s practice.

In 1899 tobacco trader Kievits commissioned the construction of the present building, replacing two old townhouses. A small tobacco factory was located in the rear part of the building, currently serving as the private living quarters of the owners. The left side of the building served as the former tobacco store, with staff quarters on the first floor. Currently this building is in use by Tijdink &Tijdink, luxury catering services. The neo classical architecture offers an abundance in art nouveau decorations and details, with high sculpted plaster ceilings, tobacco jars above the doorways and the beautiful Jugendstil styled conservatory and loggia.

From last centuries’ Thirties until 2010, the successive doctors’ practices of Van Hoeckel, Van Mackelenbergh en Bots, provided medical care for numerous inhabitants of ‘s-Hertogenbosch.

Early 2017 the building was transformed into Boutique Hotel and B&B De Blauwe Pauw. A comfortable, hospitable and personal mini-hotel in a historical setting.

The name ‘De Blauwe Pauw’ (Blue Peacock) originates from the forged fence above the hotel entrance, a typical decoration from the Belle Époque (1890- 1914) era, with Jugendstil/Art Noveau features. The Aesculapius is a reminder of the building’s former function as a doctor’s practice.

(Click on a photo to enlage)